Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Jewelry October 2010

 Della liked the monkey pendant which we found at Michaels; it reminded me of a story in a book I loved in childhood, Japanese Children's Tales. I just found a copy a few years ago and so now I can read these stories to the grandgirls.  The monkey was a very clever and mischievious character and I seem to remember he'd stolen the peach.
The stones were $3 from a bead show bargain rack; the metal discs were also from Michaels, clasp $1.50 from ArtBeads. Altogether, about a $10 necklace. (I usually only buy sale items at Michaels, which keeps costs down.)
The next two necklaces are what I think of as "blue jeans jewelry". Short enough that I can wear them out in the barn without catching them on a nail, or having a goat try to eat them; predominately blue with touches of other color. Even though I spend a lot of time working at rather rough projects, I like my jewelry! I experimented with using a length of chain in one. I like the look, but it doesn't want to hang right. I might have to make the chain a complete second strand to fix this.


The necklace below is my, ahem, signature autumn piece. "Harvest" is a combination of my current favorite vintage bronze metal, some beads that my clever sis Susan scavenged from her thrift store finds, two hefty bronze beads I'd taken off an old necklace, and a burnt orange turquoise donut bead (from the Auntie's Beads online bead store, about $3). I wanted to experiment with a different style of necklace, and I love sparkly seed beads, and somewhere I'd seen a necklace done this way. Oh, the red 12 mm beads are coral and the small red beads are czech glass ($4 strand). The chain was from Michaels, about $3 (on sale!), so this piece cost about $12. Of course I'm not counting the cost of the dozen or so colors of seed beads I bought Just In Case and leftover beads from The Stash really shouldn't count either, right? In fact, now that I think of it, this jewelry was practically free!! (A corollary is: the more you buy, the more leftovers you have, and since they don't count, eventually ALL your jewelry will cost NOTHING. A win-win situation.)




No comments: