Sunday, March 27, 2011

Saying No To Chickens- in March

I have 38 young chickens in the garage. I have 62 very young chicks in the house, and one more incubator load to go. Somehow all these chickens will have to find a place to stay. Meanwhile, all the older chickens are laying famously and I had another 150 eggs that could have been hatched in a friends large incubator, but I sighed and instead washed them so they could be sold. There are just never enough cages for the spring rush.
Larry leaves for St. Louis tomorrow and so he was rushing to finish a cage for my newest chickens. These are small birds called Seramas, or "Malaysian House Chickens". I'm raising these for pets rather than practical use.
It's a lot of fun right now, raising the new chickens and starting new plants. The weather turned back to winter last week and now the house is full of seed trays, birds, and oh yes, fish babies. The molly in the beta tank had babies that had to be rescued from their mother. So that's one more aquarium on the crowded window shelf.
Out in the garden, we have put in some lettuce and radishes, but I haven't even checked to see if they are up. I also planted onion sets in a raised bed, and started cleaning out last years old stalks so I can till (whenever it dries out enough).
This winter I acquired a chain saw and now I can cut up the big branches that are laying around after all the winds in February. I tried cutting up the big tree that fell partway into the pond. Mistake; it was too big around and I got my saw trapped. So after that, I tackled smaller diameter wood. One big branch just missed our two pick-ups and I reduced it to a neat pile of logs yesterday. Very satisfying! I just wish the saw wouldn't die every time I set it down, since starting it is hard on my shoulder. Larry said that may be a problem with the idle setting.
All for now!

No comments: