Monday, March 26, 2012

Lapis and Silver

This is one of those projects I had thought about for, oh, 3 or 4 years. I bought the hill tribes silver flowers and leaf on one of my very first bead expeditions (little did I know that the prices were dirt cheap at that particular place and time, though they seemed pricy to me). Now I'm glad I bought back then. I've made 4 or 5 pieces as gifts using that little stash of silver; this is about the last of it. The lapis I bought from an Afghani man at a bead show (I've only been to 2 bead shows total) and it was $20 for a strand of very nice blueness. The 3 hammered silver discs were bought online for $9 totatl. The 4 mm spacer beads were a $4 strand of pyrite. Unfortunately my camera focus is a bit off and you may not be able to see them, but they echo the pyrite veins in the lapis. (I settled for a slightly fuzzy picture since my battery was dying and if I don't put this pic on now, I'll forget.) The clasp is sterling and was salvaged off another necklace.
This is my favorite type of necklace; I think of it as "blue jean jewelry"..something different to dress up the jeans I wear all the time. I'm usually doing rougher work, but least I can wear a nice blouse and unique jewelry!

No comments: