Sunday, March 25, 2012

New Chicks!

These are the March 7 hatch.
 
The stripy yellow and black one is a silver laced wyandotte.
The golden ones to the right are New Hampshire Reds (like Rhode Island Reds).
Mochi helps with all stages of hatching.
 
 
 
 
At the moment I have about 65 chicks still in the big brooder out in my garage, and a few more hatching inside. I've said this is the LAST incubator run, but I'm wavering now because a friend (you know who you are, Cindy!) has offered me some more eggs from a breed I don't have. Hmm...
And on the side of being sensible, I HAVE made enough money to cover the original cost of the hatchery chicks. If I can sell the rest before they eat too much, I might even make a profit! But at least I will have hatched enough chicks for next years flock; I didn't use to keep track of the money, but feed prices doubled one year and I realized I had to be more careful. I enjoy selling because I meet young families just starting their homestead journeys. It's fun to see little kids meet chickens!Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh bless, chicks are so cute, Mochi looks very helpful, my cats would try to eat them !!

Lee said...

I've found her sleeping in the middle of them!But then she has settled down now that she's older. I'm not sure I would have trusted her as a kitten!