Monday, July 12, 2010







The nuggets are light amethyst, (such a light purple that at first I thought they were pink), $5 for the whole strand. The mottled purple beads are charoite. I seem to remember that charoite was originally found in Russia near the Charo river. Really good charoite is deep purple, but this was inexpensive. I liked the way it worked with the amethyst. I used czech glass beads as spacers on the necklace and earrings, but ran out for the bracelet and had to use some round amethyst. It still works as a set, but that disqualifies it as a fair entry, because they are into "make it match" not "artistic license". I found that out last year-I was giving Hannah a necklace and earrings and thought it would be neat to give her a prize winning set. Well, I got 4th place because I was dinged for several things I did on purpose!
The Bead Warehouse in Silver Spring (run by the the personable Marvin) is the source for a lot of my beads. Accent Beads in Rockville is also good for bargains on strands.

No comments: